Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that kills approximately 500 people in the U.S. each year. What makes it so dangerous is that it is almost impossible to detect without the proper equipment; it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. A person exposed to carbon monoxide will begin to feel sick but may not know why. If left undiagnosed and exposed to carbon monoxide, he or she may experience permanent or life-ending brain damage.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 15,000 people each year visit emergency treatment centers for carbon monoxide poisoning. The primary symptoms are very similar to those for the flu, and many people are incorrectly diagnosed. The main symptoms are typically nausea, dizziness, headache, and fatigue. Many people begin to suspect carbon monoxide poisoning when they feel better away from one particular place, such as home or work, only to have their symptoms come back in full force when they return.
Carbon monoxide is produced by burning a carbon fuel, such as gasoline or propane. Any machinery that burns fuel releases carbon monoxide, and with poor ventilation the concentration can build up and poison a person. Gas stoves, grills, water heaters, space heaters, automobiles, and other machinery or vehicles using a gasoline engine all emit carbon monoxide. To avoid poisoning, always keep your house well ventilated and never run gasoline or propane based equipment in the garage with the garage door closed. If you suspect that you have been poisoned by carbon monoxide, leave the area, seek medical attention immediately, and have an inspector check the area for carbon monoxide.
If your health has suffered as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and you suspect that negligence is involved, consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. A personal injury attorney can help you determine who may be liable for your poisoning and fight to get you the compensation that you may deserve.