People can get poisoned in a variety of ways. By eating bad food, for example, they can get poisoned. By being exposed to lead, they can also get poisoned. Another way, which is not given as much attention these days as it used to be given, is through exposure to mercury.
Mercury poisoning is caused by exposure to mercury or its forms/compounds. There are a number of sources from which people can be exposed to mercury. Consumption of fish has lead to serious cases of mercury poisoning. Also, people can breathe in mercury from the air or come into contact with mercury from broken light bulbs. There are a number of other ways to be exposed to mercury, and they all can lead to serious effects.
Among the effects of mercury poisoning are simple problems, such as:
These effects do not constitute a complete list but only represent the most common symptoms.
While mercury can cause serious problems, many of those problems are completely or partially reversible. If young children are exposed to mercury, especially for extended periods of time, however, then the effects can be irreversible or even fatal.